Re: Linksys EG1032 rev. 3 patch

From: Fredrik Lindberg <fli+freebsd-current_at_shapeshifter.se>
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 23:40:43 +0200
M. Warner Losh wrote:
> Is rev the right thing to filter based on, or is the subvendor id and
> subvendor device?  if a vendor sets the vendor id/vendor device fields
> wrong, who is to say that we can know based on the pci revision field
> if this device is right or not.  The revision field tends to change a
> lot and having a sample size of 1 or 2 (or even 5) likely is
> insufficient to know if it can be relied upon to not cause problems
> with the next container load of the cards arrives...
>
> I know that the re vs rl decision is made based on the revision in the
> device's I/O space right now:
>
> 	while (t->rl_name != NULL) {
> 		if ((pci_get_vendor(dev) == t->rl_vid) &&
> 		    (pci_get_device(dev) == t->rl_did)) {
> ... map I/O
> 			hwrev = CSR_READ_4(sc, RL_TXCFG) & RL_TXCFG_HWREV;
> ... unmap I/O
> 			if (t->rl_basetype == hwrev) {
> 				device_set_desc(dev, t->rl_name);
> 				return (BUS_PROBE_DEFAULT);
> 			}
> 		}
> 		t++;
> 	}
> 	return (ENXIO);
>
> Checking for 0x10 vs 0x15 for a card that has gone from rev 2 to rev 3
> just strikes me as unwise.
>
> Warner

Filtering on subvendor/subdevice might be better, I didn't even think
of that and revision filtering seemed to be quite popular among
exsisting drivers.

The subdevice id for a rev.3 card seems to be 0x0024 (subvendor 0x1737).
I don't own a rev. 2 card but google says that the rev.2 card has
subdevice id 0x0015 (subvendor 0x1737).

	Fredrik