Re: Netgear WG511 drivers help

From: Bill Paul <wpaul_at_FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 20:06:11 +0000 (GMT)
> Suken Woo Wrote:
>
> >> lists:
> >> the Netgear WG511 dosen't support on freebsd and ndis wrapper doesn't
> >> work either
> >> anybody could give any help??
> >>

> > Did your Netgear WG511 say 'Atheros' on its packaging?
> > what does pciconf -lv say about it?
> >
> > I have a WG511T and it works fine its a Atheros.
> >
> > Mike
> >

> the WG511 useing the difference chip set i though. and here's my
> pciconfig -lv lists:
> none1_at_pci3:0:0: class=0x020000 card=0x4e001385 chip=0x1faa11ab rev=0x03
> hdr=0x00    vendor   = 'Marvell Semiconductor (Was: Galileo Technology Ltd)'
>     class    = network
>     subclass = ethernet
> and some dmesgs:
> cardbus0: Resource not specified in CIS: id=14, size=10000
> cardbus0: <network, ethernet> at device 0.0 (no driver attached)
>
> BTW,my card's type is WG511 v2.

I have the following:

none7_at_pci1:0:0: class=0x020000 card=0x1faa11ab chip=0x1faa11ab rev=0x03 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Marvell Semiconductor (Was: Galileo Technology Ltd)'
    class    = network
    subclass = ethernet

This is a Marvell 8335 card, and it works with the latest incarnation
of Project Evil in -current:

ndis0: <Marvell Libertas 802.11b/g Wireless (8335)> mem 0x88010000-0x8801ffff,0x88020000-0x8802ffff irq 9 at device 0.0 on cardbus0
ndis0: NDIS API version: 5.1

Note however that I've been experiencing a peculiar problem with my
particular card and laptop. The card is a no-name brand ("Mentor"),
and I'm using it in my Sony Vaio Picturebook laptop. For the most
part it works ok: I can initialize it, get it to associate, I can
even do WPA2 with it using wpa_supplicant. The only problem is that
after it's been running for a while (usually several hours, though
sometimes sooner), the laptop will freeze up. Typically when it happens,
one of the LEDs on the card will be flashing, which I think means it's
become disassociated or the re-keying interval has expired. Sadly,
since the whole laptop wedges up completely, I have no clue what's
causing the problem.

I haven't noticed the same problem when testing the same card with
my Soekris board at home, and I don't have another laptop or card
to test it with, so I'm at a bit of a loss. I've tried everything I
can think of to try and get the laptop to cough up some useful info
but with no joy. The fact that I can only get it to crash maybe once
or twice a day doesn't help.

I suspect the issue is related to WPA2 somehow, so if you're not
going to use that, you may not notice any problems. Give it a try
and see what happens.

-Bill

-Bill Paul            (510) 749-2329 | Senior Engineer, Master of Unix-Fu
                 wpaul_at_windriver.com | Wind River Systems
              <adamw> you're just BEGGING to face the moose