On-going problems with new dhclient

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 16:24:19 -0700
Brooks et. al.,

I have just spent a miserable time fighting with the new dhclient. I am
currently working in Seattle getting a very large network ready for a bit
computer show next month. I have excellent signal strength and don't
ever see the association drop. But I keep loosing my address and long
before the lease expires. For a while I was seeing the address vanish
more than once a minute. Ack!

I assumed that dhclient was exiting, but then I did "ps -ax | grep
dhclient" and I discovered that I had a whole bunch of processes, half
[priv] and half not, all on the same interface. This looked rather
broken to me. I had "restarted" dhclient several times, so I suspect it
was not really exiting when the network died and the address went away.

I know that if_wi does not play nice with the 802.11 modem but I really
don't think this should be happening. It's rally annoying!

I don't see this on my home wireless, but I have seen it several times
while traveling. I see it occasionally at work.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)