Re: On-going problems with new dhclient

From: Brooks Davis <brooks_at_one-eyed-alien.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 17:09:33 -0700
On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 04:24:19PM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> Brooks et. al.,
>
> I have just spent a miserable time fighting with the new dhclient. I am
> currently working in Seattle getting a very large network ready for a bit
> computer show next month. I have excellent signal strength and don't
> ever see the association drop. But I keep loosing my address and long
> before the lease expires. For a while I was seeing the address vanish
> more than once a minute. Ack!
>
> I assumed that dhclient was exiting, but then I did "ps -ax | grep
> dhclient" and I discovered that I had a whole bunch of processes, half
> [priv] and half not, all on the same interface. This looked rather
> broken to me. I had "restarted" dhclient several times, so I suspect it
> was not really exiting when the network died and the address went away.
>
> I know that if_wi does not play nice with the 802.11 modem but I really
> don't think this should be happening. It's rally annoying!
>
> I don't see this on my home wireless, but I have seen it several times
> while traveling. I see it occasionally at work.

I've never seen more than two dhclients per interface so some weird
edge case is being hit.  I'm guessing the interface is thrashing
between APs and that may be causing problems.  What I really need is a
trace of state transitions from the NIC.  80211watch and 80211debug in
src/tools/tools/ath/ may be sufficent, though I'm not sure.  If you can
get me in, I'd be happy to come down and try to debug this myself since
I live in Seattle.  I'd certainly like my laptop to work when I'm trying
to attend the show. :)

-- Brooks