Re: Poor Samba throughput on 6.0 RC1

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 16:37:59 +0200
Joao Barros <joao.barros_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/25/05, Robert Atkinson <phreaki_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>> Maybe a longshot, but what is your cluster size?
> The default block size of 16384 bytes, a fragment size of 2048 bytes
> The ide drive has a NTFS partition which I mounted readonly and
> copying files from there resulted with the same below expected
> performance :(

I haven't read the entire thread, but by looking at this I assume there's
another FS than NTFS involved. Benchmarking with NTFS (or MSDOSFS) as the
underlying FS doesn't make sense (unless you want to measure the performance
of NTFS or MSDOSFS), since it's slow (for NTFS you should be happy to at
least be able to read something, there's no open documentation about it
available).

So I suggest you try with a good FS (ufs 1 or 2) only and don't bother about
NTFS, to make sure the FS isn't the bottleneck.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
http://www.Leidinger.net  Alexander _at_ Leidinger.net: PGP ID = B0063FE7