Re: error messages with ed(4) and current

From: Bill Paul <wpaul_at_FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 19:48:01 +0000 (GMT)
> Hello,
>
> I've resurrected one of my two ISA-based ed(4) boards, which is used to
> exchange NFS traffic between a client (under -current) and a server (under
> 6-RC1). The client is building world over NFS with both src and obj stored on
> the server.
>
> The client is running -current as this this the only version able to set the
> media on the NIC (thanks Warner).
>
> The error messages are :
> Oct 26 09:01:18 newmail-fb6 kernel: ed2: device timeout
> Oct 26 09:22:30 newmail-fb6 kernel: ed2: device timeout
> Oct 26 17:31:51 newmail-fb6 kernel: ed2: device timeout

Getting a few watchdog timeouts is not unexpected in this case, since
it means you lost an interrupt somewhere, which I suppose can happen
if the host CPU is slow or very heavily loaded (which I guess it
would be if you're building world). Hopefully it recovers quickly.

> the NIC is detected as :
> %grep ed2 /var/run/dmesg.boot
> ed2 at port 0x300-0x31f iomem 0xd8000 irq 10 on isa0
> ed2: Ethernet address: 52:54:4c:1b:90:1b
> ed2: type RTL8019 (16 bit)

FYI, this is a bogus station address. There are two bits in an
ethernet address that have special meaning. If bit 0 in the first
octet is set, then the address is a multicast group address rather
than a unicast address. (Hence ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff is technically a
special case of multicast.) If bit 1 in the first octet is set,
the address is locally defined rather than globally assigned.

Bit 1 is set in your address (the 2 in '52') which means either the
code to read the station address from the NIC is broken, or the
EEPROM on your card is scrambled. Or both.

Another dead giveaway that the address is bogus is that 52:54:4c is
not registered in the IEEE's OUI database:

http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/index.shtml

-Bill

-Bill Paul            (510) 749-2329 | Senior Engineer, Master of Unix-Fu
                 wpaul_at_windriver.com | Wind River Systems
              <adamw> you're just BEGGING to face the moose