Re: error messages with ed(4) and current

From: M. Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 21:28:53 -0600 (MDT)
In message: <20051026194801.0625816A421_at_hub.freebsd.org>
            wpaul_at_freebsd.org (Bill Paul) writes:
: > the NIC is detected as :
: > %grep ed2 /var/run/dmesg.boot
: > ed2 at port 0x300-0x31f iomem 0xd8000 irq 10 on isa0
: > ed2: Ethernet address: 52:54:4c:1b:90:1b
: > ed2: type RTL8019 (16 bit)

I don't understand how this can be, since I didn't MFC the RTL8019
changes for ISA cards.  I've fixed a few problems with them.  I can't
recall if a bogus MAC address is one of them.  You must have gotten
this message from -current.

: FYI, this is a bogus station address. There are two bits in an
: ethernet address that have special meaning. If bit 0 in the first
: octet is set, then the address is a multicast group address rather
: than a unicast address. (Hence ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff is technically a
: special case of multicast.) If bit 1 in the first octet is set,
: the address is locally defined rather than globally assigned.

They look bogus to me too.  I've made a number of changes to if_ed
that didn't make it into 6.0 of late.  Maybe he should try those to
make sure I got it right.  I managed to get the ed interface working
on an embedded board that we have at work.

It is down right now, most likely because I didn't turn it on after
putting the system back together tonight.  I'll give it a spin
tomorrow.

Warner