Re: MySQL Performance 6.0rc1

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:53:27 +0200
In message <00a801c5dacf$db3b7700$6504010a_at_Jura>, "Yuriy N. Shkandybin" writes:
>>>Check gettimeofday syscall, it follows every I/O syscall, I think
>>>our gettimeofday is tooooooo expensive, if we can directly get time from
>>>memory, the performance will be improved further.

>It's true:
>run next on same PC от freebsd and linux  and compare

I can produce unprecise timestamps just as fast as Linux.

Heck,  I can do it even faster:

	static __inline int
	gettimeofday(struct timeval *tp, void *tz __unused)
	{
		tp.tv_sec = 0;
		tp.tv_usec = 0;
		return (0);
	}

A very important part of learning how to do benchmarks is learning
how to measure the target and not the benchmarking code.