Re: freebsd-current Digest, Vol 112, Issue 11

From: Brooks Davis <brooks_at_one-eyed-alien.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 18:52:42 -0700
On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 01:26:45AM +0200, Jochen Gensch wrote:
> Am Freitag 02 September 2005 00:53 schrieb
>
> > Right now, we refuse to modify the default route if another interface
> > has it, but the expected behavior is probably to modify it even if it's
> > on another interface if that interface is down.
>
> Something else: does that mean, once a non removable nic got the default route
> it cannot be changed again? At least it seems like I'm experiencing that here
> (Even though I tried so many different ways now, that I'm not too sure about
> that any more, lol).

No.  Just that dhclient won't do it.

> > If the start_if.ath0 script isn't running, you should check that you have
> > removable_interfaces="ath0" in rc.conf.  Though, I saw some traffic that
> > say this was going away.
> >
> > Anyway, quoting Brooks in "HEADSUP: OpenBSD dhclient incoming"
> > "Second the pccard_ifconfig variable is only used as a default value for
> > interfaces that are on the removable_interfaces list, but do not have an
> > ifconfig_<if> variable. Third, interfaces must be on the
> > removable_interfaces list for pccard_ether to work."
>
> Yes, rc.conf looks as follows:
> --------------------------------
> background_dhclient="YES"
> ifconfig_fxp0="DHCP"
> ifconfig_ath0="WPA DHCP"
> removable_interfaces="ath0"
>
> However, as I'm not too familiar with things like "pccard_ifconfig variable"
> it is difficult to follow you szenario. But it seems, that start_if.ath0
> shouldn't run since ath0 has an ifconfig_ath0 entry here for wpa_supplicant.
>
> > There should not be a need to modify devd.conf as there is already this
> > line:
> >
> > attach 0 {
> >         device-name "$ethernet-nic-regex";
> >         action "/etc/pccard_ether $device-name start";
> > }
>
> Yep, I saw that right after your first reply.
>

> > I also saw some traffic from Brooks where he explicitly stated that
> > the new dhclient does not touch the default route if one is already
> > configured.  afaik, this should not actually be a problem because start_if
> > is always run before dhclient has a change to start.  Also I agree, it
> > would rather dangerous if dhclient just started flushing the routing
> > table.
>
> But it needs to be configurable somewhere. As I understand it now I cannot use
> start_if.ath0 since it has a (mandatory) ifconfig_if entry in rc.conf related
> to wpa_supplicant. Therefore one needs to hack it in somewhere by hand.

This is not the issue.  I have no idea where you got the idea that
having an ifconfig_<ifn> entry has anyting to do with start_if.ath0
running.  The issue is that start_if.ath0 always runs at boot or when
you insert the card, but not when you get a lease.  If you want to take
an action when you get a lease, you need to do it in the dhclient hooks.

-- Brooks