Re: Installation error Intel mobile ICH6M SATA controller.

From: Eric Anderson <anderson_at_centtech.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 20:58:42 -0500
Dean Patterson wrote:
> Well not all D610's are created equally.  I work in
> the Caterpillar IT dept. and even our orders from one
> week to another differ.  The one I am using has a SATA
> controller (ICH6M) with ATI pci-x video.  Is this what
> you are using?  As far as the setup I am doing a
> simple one slice system and setting is active.  And I
> check it on vc4 and it shows active.  I am also just
> doing a minimal install so I dont understand what
> could be different than the many other installs.  I
> had it on a Dell D600 with no problems, but it was
> PATA.  Although I dont know why SATA would cause an
> issue as I know FBSD to have great SATA support.  How
> can I get the dmesg info for you from sysinstall/vc4?
> I really appreciate your assistance.

Hmm.. Well, the ones I've seen seem to match the same specs, and while I
have seen linux (Fedora Core 2) stumble on it, FreeBSD has always worked
fine for me on D610's (and 600's).

Can you do a full install?  Also, I didn't see the fdisk or bsdlabel
info - can you post that somewhere?  You might be able to boot a
FreeSBIE disk or even one of the recently posted (on -advocacy I think)
BSD CD boot disks, and then send the dmesg that way.

So - if I understand correctly, it just never mounts the root
filesystem?  We really need to see the last chunk of a verbose boot I
think plus the fdisk/bsdlabel info to get any further.

Are you in Houston?

Eric