Re: 3com wireless pccard

From: Ben Kaduk <minimarmot_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 18:34:38 +0000
On 9/15/05, Bachilo Dmitry <root_at_solink.ru> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am having a problem with my 3com card. On my 5.4 i had to compile NDIS
> drivers using original Windows XP drivers presented on drivers disk
> included
> in this 3Com wirless device box. And it worked fine.
>
> Now the system still compiles with device ndis and options NDISAPI but it
> writes cardbus0: <network, ethernet> at device 0.0 (no driver attached)
> instead of creating ndis0 device.
>
> By the way device ath and device ath_hal do not compile since 5.4, but
> that's
> other story, because this driver actually does not suppord my NIC.
>
> Did I miss something about ndis in 6.0-CURRENT or do i do something wrong?
>
> Best regards, Bachilo Dmitry.

The way the ndis driver works has been changed -- the ndis option/module
only generates infrastructure, it doesn't pull in the actual windows drivers
anymore -- a separate utility (shell script) ndisgen is now used for this.
Just type ndisgen at a root prompt and it should be fairly self-explanatory.
This change allows the ndis framework to support more than one type of
windows driver at a time -- I have a BCMWL5_SYS.ko module for my wireless
card, but I could also have a bcm4324.ko module for my onboard card (which
is actually natively supported) and use them both at the same time. It is my
understanding that such dual-use was not possible before this change.
Unfortunately, the documentation of this change is not in a prominent place
(I missed it myself).

Hope this solves your problem

Ben Kaduk