Re: serial ttys broken?

From: Antony Mawer <fbsd-current_at_mawer.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 09:56:11 +1000
On 21/09/2005 7:13 AM, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 08:26:36PM +0300, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
>>> In my experience, you need to use:
>>>
>>> cuad0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  on secure
>>> and not
>>> ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  on secure
>>>
>>> in /etc/ttys to get a console on the serial port if you are not using -h
>>> in /boot.config.  I'm pretty sure it's been like this for a long time.
>>>
>>> What line have you got in /etc/ttys?
>>>
>> I've come to the same conclusion after also trying uart(4) instead
>> of sio(4).
>
> Don't forget that DCD does not have to be asserted when the
> serial line is used as serial console. When the serial line
> is not used as serial console, DCD must be asserted. This
> is not always the case with null-modem cables.
> Change std.9600 to 3wire.9600 and don't use cua*. Use tty*.

Thanks for this tip! I've been puzzling for a week now why my serial
console wouldn't bring up a login prompt - using cuad0 works, but using
3wire.9600 with tty* instead of std.9600 also works.

At some point I'll switch the main console over as well, but for the
time being I just wanted to get a login via serial connection as a
backup if I lose network connectivity for any reason (the machine runs
headless).

Cheers
Antony