Re: ifconfig ndis0 up scan hangs

From: Jayton Garnett <jay_at_codegurus.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 07:11:45 +0100
Ben Kaduk wrote:

>Hi all -- this is just a preliminary report to check that I'm not trying to
>do something stupid before I put more effort into tracking this down:
>On a current from about two weeks ago, if I issue a:
># ifconfig ndis0 down
># ifconfig ndis0 up scan
>
>ifconfig will hang.
>I'm using a broadcom card (dell truemobile 1400), and I've had problems with
>this access point in the past -- windows only finds it about half the time,
>and I've only seen it show up once in FreeBSD, that being tonight. When I
>tried to associate with it and execute dhclient, though, my system hung hard
>(no caps lock) and I was in X, so no debugger either (last xconsole event
>was "ndis0: link down"). Since I can't see the AP anymore, I can't really
>repeat that, though.
>Am I trying to do something silly, does anyone care about this, or should I
>just let it slide and workaround?
>
>Thanks
>
>Ben Kaduk

Try get a newer version of the windows xp drivers if available and
rebuild your if_ndis module with them, make sure you have use the
correct firmware file aswell (I had 3 .bin files to test and try).

If you know the ssid & wep key (if in use) then frun the ifconfig
command like this:
# ifconfig ndis0 inet 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 ssid
your_ssid_here  weptxkey XXX

Just change the inet/netmask/ssid/weptxkey  to the appropriate values
for yourself.

One last thing... if you run ifconfig ndis0 what results do you get?
both before and after anyother ifconfig commands.

--
Kind regards,
Jayton Garnett

email: jay_at_codegurus.org