Re: 4BSD/ULE numbers...

From: Taku YAMAMOTO <taku_at_tackymt.homeip.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 08:33:13 +0900
Hi all,

I found that slice_min and slice_max in sched_ule.c are calculated
based on hz rather than stathz, which results to a thread hogging
7.5 times more cpu time than the author's intension.

For those who feel sluggish when doing computation-bound things,
I recommend the following tunings with sysctl:

# for RTC based systems...
kern.sched.slice_min=1
kern.sched.slice_max=18

# for APIC based systems driven at hz=1000
# (where stathz = hz * 2 / 15)
kern.sched.slice_min=1   # (hz * 2 / 15) / 100
kern.sched.slice_max=19  # (hz * 2 / 15) / 7

The attached patch addresses this problem with the bonus of increased
accuracy of tickincr.

--
-|-__   YAMAMOTO, Taku