Re: CPU class not configured problem in CURRENT

From: Ganbold <ganbold_at_micom.mng.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 11:47:30 +0900
Scott Long wrote:
> Ganbold wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've got panic "CPU class not configured" on today's CURRENT.
>> I have HP Proliant ML370 G4 machine with Xeon CPU 3.20GHz CPU.
>>
>> When machine tries to boot following message appears:
>> CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.20GHz (Unknown-class CPU)
>> logical CPUs per core: 2
>> panic: CPU class not configured
>> cpuid = 0
>> KDB: enter: panic
>> [thread pid 0 tid 0 ]
>> stopped at kdb_enter+0x2b : nop
>> db>
>>
>> Ganbold
>>

> You need to provide the exact kernel config file that you used to
> produce this problem.
Sorry, actually it was yesterday's CURRENT.
It is standard GENERIC kernel config file with some options commented out:

#cpu I486_CPU
#cpu I586_CPU
cpu I686_CPU
ident GENERIC

# To statically compile in device wiring instead of /boot/device.hints
#hints"GENERIC.hints"# Default places to look for devices.

makeoptions DEBUG=-g# Build kernel with gdb(1) debug symbols

#options SCHED_ULE# ULE scheduler
options SCHED_4BSD# 4BSD scheduler
options PREEMPTION# Enable kernel thread preemption
options INET# InterNETworking
#options INET6# IPv6 communications protocols
options FFS# Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options SOFTUPDATES# Enable FFS soft updates support
options UFS_ACL# Support for access control lists
options UFS_DIRHASH# Improve performance on big directories
#options MD_ROOT# MD is a potential root device
#options NFSCLIENT# Network Filesystem Client
#options NFSSERVER# Network Filesystem Server
#options NFS_ROOT# NFS usable as /, requires NFSCLIENT
#options MSDOSFS# MSDOS Filesystem
options CD9660# ISO 9660 Filesystem
options PROCFS# Process filesystem (requires PSEUDOFS)
options PSEUDOFS# Pseudo-filesystem framework
options GEOM_GPT# GUID Partition Tables.
options COMPAT_43# Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options COMPAT_43TTY# BSD 4.3 TTY compat [KEEP THIS!]
options COMPAT_FREEBSD4# Compatible with FreeBSD4
options COMPAT_FREEBSD5# Compatible with FreeBSD5
options SCSI_DELAY=5000# Delay (in ms) before probing SCSI
options KTRACE# ktrace(1) support
options SYSVSHM# SYSV-style shared memory
options SYSVMSG# SYSV-style message queues
options SYSVSEM# SYSV-style semaphores
options _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING # POSIX P1003_1B real-time extensions
options KBD_INSTALL_CDEV# install a CDEV entry in /dev
options AHC_REG_PRETTY_PRINT# Print register bitfields in debug
# output.  Adds ~128k to driver.
options AHD_REG_PRETTY_PRINT# Print register bitfields in debug
# output.  Adds ~215k to driver.
options ADAPTIVE_GIANT# Giant mutex is adaptive.
options STOP_NMI# Stop CPUS using NMI instead of IPI

# Debugging for use in -current
options KDB# Enable kernel debugger support.
options DDB# Support DDB.
options GDB# Support remote GDB.
options INVARIANTS# Enable calls of extra sanity checking
options INVARIANT_SUPPORT# Extra sanity checks of internal structures,
required by INVARIANTS
options WITNESS# Enable checks to detect deadlocks and cycles
options WITNESS_SKIPSPIN# Don't run witness on spinlocks for speed

# To make an SMP kernel, the next two lines are needed
options SMP# Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
device apic# I/O APIC

# Bus support.
#device eisa
device pci

# Floppy drives
device fdc

# ATA and ATAPI devices
device ata
device atadisk# ATA disk drives
device ataraid# ATA RAID drives
device atapicd# ATAPI CDROM drives
#device atapifd# ATAPI floppy drives
#device atapist# ATAPI tape drives
options ATA_STATIC_ID# Static device numbering

# SCSI Controllers
device ahb# EISA AHA1742 family
device ahc# AHA2940 and onboard AIC7xxx devices
device ahd# AHA39320/29320 and onboard AIC79xx devices
device amd# AMD 53C974 (Tekram DC-390(T))
device isp# Qlogic family
#device ispfw# Firmware for QLogic HBAs- normally a module
device mpt# LSI-Logic MPT-Fusion
#device ncr# NCR/Symbios Logic
device sym# NCR/Symbios Logic (newer chipsets + those of `ncr')
device trm# Tekram DC395U/UW/F DC315U adapters

device adv# Advansys SCSI adapters
device adw# Advansys wide SCSI adapters
device aha# Adaptec 154x SCSI adapters
device aic# Adaptec 15[012]x SCSI adapters, AIC-6[23]60.
device bt# Buslogic/Mylex MultiMaster SCSI adapters

device ncv# NCR 53C500
device nsp# Workbit Ninja SCSI-3
device stg# TMC 18C30/18C50

# SCSI peripherals
device scbus# SCSI bus (required for SCSI)
device ch# SCSI media changers
device da# Direct Access (disks)
device sa# Sequential Access (tape etc)
device cd# CD
device pass# Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)
device ses# SCSI Environmental Services (and SAF-TE)

# RAID controllers interfaced to the SCSI subsystem
device amr# AMI MegaRAID
device arcmsr# Areca SATA II RAID
device asr# DPT SmartRAID V, VI and Adaptec SCSI RAID
device ciss# Compaq Smart RAID 5*
device dpt# DPT Smartcache III, IV - See NOTES for options
device hptmv# Highpoint RocketRAID 182x
device iir# Intel Integrated RAID
device ips# IBM (Adaptec) ServeRAID
device mly# Mylex AcceleRAID/eXtremeRAID
device twa# 3ware 9000 series PATA/SATA RAID

# RAID controllers
device aac# Adaptec FSA RAID
device aacp# SCSI passthrough for aac (requires CAM)
device ida# Compaq Smart RAID
device mfi# LSI MegaRAID SAS
device mlx# Mylex DAC960 family
device pst# Promise Supertrak SX6000
device twe# 3ware ATA RAID

# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
device atkbdc# AT keyboard controller
device atkbd# AT keyboard
device psm# PS/2 mouse

device kbdmux# keyboard multiplexer

device vga# VGA video card driver

device splash# Splash screen and screen saver support

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device sc

# Enable this for the pcvt (VT220 compatible) console driver
#device vt
#options XSERVER# support for X server on a vt console
#options FAT_CURSOR# start with block cursor

device agp# support several AGP chipsets

# Power management support (see NOTES for more options)
#device apm
# Add suspend/resume support for the i8254.
#device pmtimer

# PCCARD (PCMCIA) support
# PCMCIA and cardbus bridge support
#device cbb# cardbus (yenta) bridge
#device pccard# PC Card (16-bit) bus
#device cardbus# CardBus (32-bit) bus

# Serial (COM) ports
device sio# 8250, 16[45]50 based serial ports
device uart# Generic UART driver

# Parallel port
#device ppc
#device ppbus# Parallel port bus (required)
#device lpt# Printer
#device plip# TCP/IP over parallel
#device ppi# Parallel port interface device
#device vpo# Requires scbus and da

# If you've got a "dumb" serial or parallel PCI card that is
# supported by the puc(4) glue driver, uncomment the following
# line to enable it (connects to sio, uart and/or ppc drivers):
#device puc

# PCI Ethernet NICs.
device de# DEC/Intel DC21x4x (``Tulip'')
device em# Intel PRO/1000 adapter Gigabit Ethernet Card
device ixgb# Intel PRO/10GbE Ethernet Card
device txp# 3Com 3cR990 (``Typhoon'')
device vx# 3Com 3c590, 3c595 (``Vortex'')

# PCI Ethernet NICs that use the common MII bus controller code.
# NOTE: Be sure to keep the 'device miibus' line in order to use these NICs!
device miibus# MII bus support
device bfe# Broadcom BCM440x 10/100 Ethernet
device bge# Broadcom BCM570xx Gigabit Ethernet
device dc# DEC/Intel 21143 and various workalikes
device fxp# Intel EtherExpress PRO/100B (82557, 82558)
device lge# Level 1 LXT1001 gigabit Ethernet
device nge# NatSemi DP83820 gigabit Ethernet
device nve# nVidia nForce MCP on-board Ethernet Networking
device pcn# AMD Am79C97x PCI 10/100(precedence over 'lnc')
device re# RealTek 8139C+/8169/8169S/8110S
device rl# RealTek 8129/8139
device sf# Adaptec AIC-6915 (``Starfire'')
device sis# Silicon Integrated Systems SiS 900/SiS 7016
device sk# SysKonnect SK-984x & SK-982x gigabit Ethernet
device ste# Sundance ST201 (D-Link DFE-550TX)
device ti# Alteon Networks Tigon I/II gigabit Ethernet
device tl# Texas Instruments ThunderLAN
device tx# SMC EtherPower II (83c170 ``EPIC'')
device vge# VIA VT612x gigabit Ethernet
device vr# VIA Rhine, Rhine II
device wb# Winbond W89C840F
device xl# 3Com 3c90x (``Boomerang'', ``Cyclone'')

# ISA Ethernet NICs.  pccard NICs included.
#device cs# Crystal Semiconductor CS89x0 NIC
# 'device ed' requires 'device miibus'
#device ed# NE[12]000, SMC Ultra, 3c503, DS8390 cards
#device ex# Intel EtherExpress Pro/10 and Pro/10+
#device ep# Etherlink III based cards
#device fe# Fujitsu MB8696x based cards
#device ie# EtherExpress 8/16, 3C507, StarLAN 10 etc.
#device lnc# NE2100, NE32-VL Lance Ethernet cards
#device sn# SMC's 9000 series of Ethernet chips
#device xe# Xircom pccard Ethernet

# Wireless NIC cards
#device wlan# 802.11 support
#device an# Aironet 4500/4800 802.11 wireless NICs.
#device awi# BayStack 660 and others
#device ral# Ralink Technology RT2500 wireless NICs.
#device wi# WaveLAN/Intersil/Symbol 802.11 wireless NICs.
#device wl# Older non 802.11 Wavelan wireless NIC.

# Pseudo devices.
device loop# Network loopback
device random# Entropy device
device ether# Ethernet support
#device sl# Kernel SLIP
#device ppp# Kernel PPP
device tun# Packet tunnel.
device pty# Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
#device md# Memory "disks"
#device gif# IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling
#device faith# IPv6-to-IPv4 relaying (translation)

# The `bpf' device enables the Berkeley Packet Filter.
# Be aware of the administrative consequences of enabling this!
# Note that 'bpf' is required for DHCP.
device bpf# Berkeley packet filter

# USB support
device uhci# UHCI PCI->USB interface
device ohci# OHCI PCI->USB interface
device ehci# EHCI PCI->USB interface (USB 2.0)
device usb# USB Bus (required)
#device udbp# USB Double Bulk Pipe devices
device ugen# Generic
device uhid# "Human Interface Devices"
device ukbd# Keyboard
#device ulpt# Printer
#device umass# Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da
device ums# Mouse
#device ural# Ralink Technology RT2500USB wireless NICs
#device urio# Diamond Rio 500 MP3 player
#device uscanner# Scanners
# USB Ethernet, requires miibus
#device aue# ADMtek USB Ethernet
#device axe# ASIX Electronics USB Ethernet
#device cdce# Generic USB over Ethernet
#device cue# CATC USB Ethernet
#device kue# Kawasaki LSI USB Ethernet
#device rue# RealTek RTL8150 USB Ethernet

# FireWire support
#device firewire# FireWire bus code
#device sbp# SCSI over FireWire (Requires scbus and da)
#device fwe# Ethernet over FireWire (non-standard!)