Re: DTRACE build failure (/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lpthread)

From: John Birrell <jb_at_what-creek.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 19:48:17 +0000
On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 04:05:24PM +0200, Tobias Gro?er wrote:

> Unfortunally I am not able to finish the build because it always breaks
> in /usr/src/cddl/usr.bin/ctfconvert with this ld-error:
> /usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lpthread

Sorry. At the moment the dtrace project has an experimental implementation of
threads merged into libc and you need to enable this by adding WITH_LIBC_THREADS=1
to /etc/make.conf. Then it will build.

Also, since the KSE code in the kernel doesn't handle signals properly in a
many-cpu system, in order to make progress on sun4v, the KSE code has been
removed. We really need to try to make it a kernel option so that we can compare
the thread implementations. Making KSE a kernel option is very messy, though.

Without KSE support in the dtrace kernel, libpthread cannot work. You need to
use libthr.

--
John Birrell