throughput and interrupts

From: Bachilo Dmitry <root_at_solink.ru>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 16:27:37 +0700
Hello.
I am completely stuck. I have a router, that rules three subnets. At first
there were Allied Telesyn's netcards with realtek chipsets. I am using
ipfw+natd and I had like 3,5 megabytes per second with 20 per cent of
interrupt load. I had "discarded oversized frame" too often so I've replaced
two main cards with 3Com 905 and now my xl0 and xl1 never discard frames. But
I saw no speed boost and interrupts were also very high. I have discovered
some IRQ conflicts and removed them, now I have single device per IRQ, but
still i have near 20-30 % of interrupt load, when i download something
through this router (and natd takes rest % of CPU). Some people advised me to
use polling, so I've built kernel with HZ=1000, polling and tried it.
Interrupts grew to 40-50% and speed decreased to 200-300 kb/s, so I had to
turn the polling off.

I just don't know what to try, to gain at least 9 mb/s, because this is what I
get at home with the same cards, the same processor, with no polling and
throgh the same provider.

Best regards,
Bachilo Dmitry
--