Re: throughput and interrupts

From: Stanislaw Halik <sthalik_at_tehran.lain.pl>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 13:48:53 +0200
On Tue, Aug 15, 2006, Bachilo Dmitry wrote:
> I am completely stuck. I have a router, that rules three subnets. At first
> there were Allied Telesyn's netcards with realtek chipsets. I am using
> ipfw+natd and I had like 3,5 megabytes per second with 20 per cent of
> interrupt load. [...]

> I just don't know what to try, to gain at least 9 mb/s, because this is what I
> get at home with the same cards, the same processor, with no polling and
> throgh the same provider.

Did you try using pf instead of ipfw+natd? natd is known to be
inefficient, as the kernel copies packets to and from the userland.

Not sure if this is the cause of your high interrupt load. What does
`top -S' show as the cpu-generating irq?

--
Some people say that a monkey would bang out the complete works of Shakespeare
on a typewriter give an unlimited amount of time. In the meantime, what they