Re: HEADS-UP: starting to commit linuxolator (SoC 2006) changes...

From: Divacky Roman <xdivac02_at_stud.fit.vutbr.cz>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 16:01:22 +0200
> >their backwards compatibility.. I've heard of spme people being stuck
> >on old
> >versions of linux..  maybe the sysctl could stay if there is a problem
> >to solve.
>
> Clarification: the sysctl will stay, the code which disables some
> parts based upon the value of the sysctl is supposed to go away (ATM
> it's a bad hack which checks the osrelease number *on every call* of 2
> functions).

3 in fact ;) and the code is not that much tested yet so we might see more.

> Anyone with interest in this is free to take care of this, as long as
> they coordinate with the people which work on the current
> infrastructure on emulation_at_ regarding the userland/security stuff and
> the kernel. Until someone stands up and shows results/progress, this
> is scheduled to vanish in the future.

I personally see this 3 possible ways:

1) leave it as it is (ie. as what will be commited shortly), this means runtime
checking for osrelease sysctl and behaving according to it

2) introduce option LINUX_24 or something like that to make this a compile time build

3) remove the 2.4 completely saying that "if you want 2.4 emulation downgrade fbsd as well".
notice that this is 100% ok because linux itself doesnt support 2.4 emulation on 2.6 kernel.

I would go with number 3.

roman