Re: HEADS UP: compat6x

From: Florent Thoumie <flz_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 19:48:08 +0000
Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Quoting Florent Thoumie <flz_at_FreeBSD.org> (from Wed, 06 Dec 2006
> 15:55:57 +0000):
>
>> While it might be a good idea to rebuild every X application after X.org
>> 7.2 is merged, I don't think it's mandatory.
>
> I don't know much about 7.2, but I think I did read about some new stuff
> which allows to enable/use some new fancy stuff in some Gnome (and KDE?)
> ports (gtk? cairo? glitz?). So I think one wants to at least update some
> ports. And the most easy way to do this when you don't know which ports
> to update is to update all. So in case I do not remember bullshit but
> some real facts, we would gain something when we do everything at once.

Most (if not all) people interested in new shiny stuff will install
beryl cause metacity only has basic compositing features. I migrated my
work machine to 7.2-RC2 and haven't rebuild a single X-dependent port on
purpose. I don't know about KDE but only metacity needs to be rebuilt to
have compositing features in GNOME.

Anyway, as I said it'll be in the tree before Christmas, but I'm not
sure what's your point.

Cheers.

--
Florent Thoumie