Re: Am I an Idiot?

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 16:03:14 -0800
Per olof Ljungmark wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We're running around 25 FBSD servers, mostly 6 and a few 5-STABLE.

At this time I'd say it's probably more dangerous to run 5-stable than
-current. ;)

> For a
> few months, we also run our internal storage/smb/whatnot machine on
> -current. Never had ANY issues. Just works, and better than 6-*.
>
> Now, we are about to replace our MX's and I'm thinking of deploying
> -current on them instead of upcoming 6.2. Right now running tests on the
> hardware, two ProLiant DL360G3 cpu's and everything looks just fine.

If you follow this list, you know that a lot of stuff is just about to
hit -current that will make life "interesting" for a while. If I were
in your position, I would run 6.x on one MX, and HEAD from around now
on the other, and keep a scratch box around with similar (or better
yet, identical) hardware so that you can test upgrades to either version.

hth,

Doug