Re: Am I an Idiot?

From: David Nugent <davidn_at_datalinktech.com.au>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 15:29:15 +1100
Per olof Ljungmark wrote:
> Am I an idiot or is anyone else out there running -current on
> production systems? I figured if one MX goes haywire at least we've
> got another one... Very interested in your opinion.

It has been some years since running -current on any critical production
server, but I have never had any qualms about doing so on a system I use
constantly. In some cases that includes what are essentially
"production" systems in that they support use for development and
pre-deployment internal to an organisation or project and while not
serving a critical role they are still heavily relied upon (and some of
those systems also run applications built from HEAD branch of their
respective repositories).

However there is always sufficient expertise around to handle the bumps
and inconveniences associated with -current including working around
long-standing problems on -current that occasionally do occur (inability
to run threaded apps compiled in 6.x, for example, where upgrade via
rebuild is not an option - a problem which I've never personally had to
address since 100% of what I run on a BSD box is open source).

Scanning this list regularly is almost a requirement when running
-current, although src/UPDATING will get you ~50% of what you need to know.

regards,
david