Re: Am I an Idiot?

From: M. Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 23:06:22 -0700 (MST)
In message: <4579EB08.8080704_at_intersonic.se>
            Per olof Ljungmark <peo_at_intersonic.se> writes:
: Am I an idiot or is anyone else out there running -current on production
: systems? I figured if one MX goes haywire at least we've got another
: one... Very interested in your opinion.

People use -current on production servers.  But not just any old
version of -current.  Rather, carefully selected versions of -current
that have been validated and tested.  The -stable branches are a lot
more likely to be suitabe for a server, but -current can be useful.

However, be prepared to compile everything yourself.  Also be prepared
to do it again when you upgrade.  While you may get a stable system
out of it, you are signing up for the "I know what I'm doing club" and
the bar to enter that club is a lot higher than the "I run stable
club."

It isn't recommended by the project, since at any given moment
-current may be useful or it may have some horrible bug and the waters
are a lot choppier.

Warner