Re: Socket problems with latest -current

From: Bruce A. Mah <bmah_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 15:03:33 -0800
I wrote:

> PS.  I'm in the process of updating a physical machine to the tip of
> RELENG_6 but this takes awhile (it's a UP 1GHz P-III and believe it or
> not the fastest FreeBSD machine I own).

Update:  This finally finished (the machine in question is my secondary
desktop system).  After commenting out ipv6_enable="YES" in my
/etc/rc.conf, everything's working.  Specifically, a named instance
answers queries as expected, sshd binds listening sockets and accepts
connections (IPv4 only of course), and sendmail comes up without any
unexpected log messages.  ifconfig(8) shows the expected addresses on
the various interfaces (IPv4-only on everything except lo0).

If anyone out there is having problems similar to what Doug originally
described, now would be a great time to speak up.  (Recent HEAD,
RELENG_6, or RELENG_6_2, with INET6 enabled in the kernel but
ipv6_enable *not* enabled in /etc/rc.conf, seeing problems with programs
failing to bind listening sockets.)

Thanks,

Bruce.