Re: A stuck system

From: Randall Stewart <rrs_at_cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 08:49:01 -0500
Luigi:

Ok, I was wrong on this... I recreated it.. hooked up
my em0 card to my laptop (right now its isolated
running the mpi tests and uses the loopback only).

I do a ping

And ta-da  the system comes back to life after
being hung for 15 minutes.

This time I did not see any of the usual syslog messages
either... of course it was only "stuck" for 15 minutes or
so...

I will leave the thing running and get it stuck again and
validate that the msk and usb will also cause the machine
to come back to life..

Is there any way this could be a lost interupt type problem (remember
the scheduler is appearing to "stop" scheduling things). OR
is this a problem with my hardware... somehow failing to
deliver interupts maybe???

Randall Stewart wrote:
> Luigi Rizzo wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 06:35:05AM -0500, Randall Stewart wrote:
>>
>>> All:
>>>
>>> Ok my P4D machine is sitting hung... its in that
>>> state I mentioned previously.
>>>
>>> It will not respond to network input on the em0 card... i.e.
>>> it won't answer pings..
>>>
>>> I have not tried the new msk0 device... its not configured up :-(
>>>
>>> Now, I know from past experience if I hit any key... it will
>>> start up again.. give out various warnings and timeouts.. sometimes
>>> a "clock ran backwards".. possibly.. and then
>>> start working fine again..
>>>
>>> Is there anything I can try to get some information so we can
>>> figure whats going on...
>>>
>>> It could be a hardware problem... don't know... but
>>> it might not be.. it does look like a lost interupt... but
>>> thats just a stab in the dark guess..
>>

>> could you try putting a second network card in the box ?
>>
>> if you suspect it is only the 'em' card that is stuck
>> a second one might give you some hints on what is going on.
>>
>> or plug in some usb device and see if there is any daemon
>> responding to the event, etc.
>>
>> cheers
>> luigi
>>
> Ahh.. great Idea.. I do have a second motherboard e-net card
> (msk0).. that I have the driver loaded.. but just have
> not gotten around to enabling..
>
> But of course thats hind site..
>
> Let me try my USB device.. I have one of those USB-Keys that
> I use in meetings that work with FreeBSD.. let me see if that
> "revives" the system.. if so then I can get in and configure up
> the second network :-)
>
> drat.. idiot that I am... I  moved the chasy and knocked the
> power cable out..
>
> Ok I will reboot and this time before running the test that
> will lock it up.. I will enable the network too.. so I will
> have two things to try..
>
> It will take me a few hours to hit the condition again...
>
> I will get back to you with results...sigh..

Randall Stewart
NSSTG - Cisco Systems Inc.
803-345-0369 <or> 803-317-4952 (cell)