Re: A stuck system

From: Randall Stewart <rrs_at_cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 07:11:58 -0500
Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 06:35:05AM -0500, Randall Stewart wrote:
>
>>All:
>>
>>Ok my P4D machine is sitting hung... its in that
>>state I mentioned previously.
>>
>>It will not respond to network input on the em0 card... i.e.
>>it won't answer pings..
>>
>>I have not tried the new msk0 device... its not configured up :-(
>>
>>Now, I know from past experience if I hit any key... it will
>>start up again.. give out various warnings and timeouts.. sometimes
>>a "clock ran backwards".. possibly.. and then
>>start working fine again..
>>
>>Is there anything I can try to get some information so we can
>>figure whats going on...
>>
>>It could be a hardware problem... don't know... but
>>it might not be.. it does look like a lost interupt... but
>>thats just a stab in the dark guess..
>

> could you try putting a second network card in the box ?
>
> if you suspect it is only the 'em' card that is stuck
> a second one might give you some hints on what is going on.
>
> or plug in some usb device and see if there is any daemon
> responding to the event, etc.
>
> cheers
> luigi

Ahh.. great Idea.. I do have a second motherboard e-net card
(msk0).. that I have the driver loaded.. but just have
not gotten around to enabling..

But of course thats hind site..

Let me try my USB device.. I have one of those USB-Keys that
I use in meetings that work with FreeBSD.. let me see if that
"revives" the system.. if so then I can get in and configure up
the second network :-)

drat.. idiot that I am... I  moved the chasy and knocked the
power cable out..

Ok I will reboot and this time before running the test that
will lock it up.. I will enable the network too.. so I will
have two things to try..

It will take me a few hours to hit the condition again...

I will get back to you with results...sigh..

Randall Stewart
NSSTG - Cisco Systems Inc.
803-345-0369 <or> 803-317-4952 (cell)