Re: MFC of bump in libcom_err.so another mistake?

From: Sean McNeil <sean_at_mcneil.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 16:03:21 -0800
On Jan 31, 2006, at 3:52 PM, Robert Watson wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Jan 2006, Sean McNeil wrote:
>
>> I was wondering if this was on purpose.  Seems like there is no
>> good reason that it was done on -STABLE and it has really messed
>> up everything here for me.
>>
>> libcom_err.so.2 bumped to libcom_err.so.3.
>
> It was on purpose, but not necessarily for a good reason.  Could
> you be more specific about "really messed up everything here for
> me", which sounds a lot to me like "and all hell broken loose"?  I
> assume there's some sort of library and application versioning
> problem, but some details would be helpful.

I had several big packages that depended on kerberos and they all
broke because:

1) libcom_err.so.2.1 was moved to /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg/
2) The symlink libcom_err.so.2 was removed and nothing was placed in
compat.

I finally got smart and just added an entry to libmap.conf and so I'm
not "really messed up...".  That was not accurate in the first place :)

> In principle, other than potentially requiring compat libs to run
> old binaries even though that may not strictly have been necessary,
> it seems likely that a binary depending on the old libcom_err
> depends also on an old libc.  On the other hand, I consider library
> version number interactions to be mysterious, and likely have
> missed the point.  :-)

The point I am making is that this is in the -STABLE tree, not the -
CURRENT tree.  There is no bump of libc and I don't see any reason
for the libcom_err.so revision bump in -STABLE.  IMHO, it didn't make
sense.

Cheers,
Sean