RE: For the love of God, is it even possible to make the Atheros ath.patch & updated HALactually work?

From: Daniel Dvorak <dandee_at_hellteam.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 23:15:33 +0100

Really ? :-) Do you think about madwifi-ng ? I hope not. Ng deos not work
just fine at all !!! :-)

WME (WMM), unexpected deassociation, TPC, DFS (radar sim), option to
enable/disable DFS does not exist and so on things always panic the Debian
GNU/Linux very well, even at boot time!

The opposite that the implementation ath and ath hal 0.9.14.9 is more or
less stable even with wme and tpc enabled in FreeBSD for the long time.

And madwifi-old does not support these new ath chipsets, because of new
version HAL 0.9.16.3.

Madwifi-old = freebsd ath implementation plus wds, sample rate 1.2 and some
more non-essential features.

To June/July 2005 madwifi was very unstable, after merging cvs BSD tree of
madwifi to cvs head tree of madwifi = now madwifi-old is more or less
stable, but without wme or TPC.

And that bsd tree was based on Sam L. good or perfect work for FreeBSD,
until merging code from FreeBSD from Sam L. work, madwifi was unstable
hazard code !

> Does anybody have even the slightest clue when this code may
> actually make it into the kernel sources?

Yes, this question is a bit interesting. I do not understand why this new
version of hal could not be committed to head, if the current is the
"bleeding edge" of FreeBSD DEVELOPMENT and "This code has been in test for a
while and should be fine to use but I will not commit it until I get
feedback." said Sam L. on the 13th of December 2005.

But why ? If we have the CURRENT BRANCH for exact purpouses, at least I
think it after reading the Handbook.

I think if Sam needs some board feedback, so current source tree is the
perfect place, where is useful and where it could get the well feedback.

So actualy I do not know the answer to your question and I am glad to see
your question here.

>  Or better yet,
> does the patch cleanly apply and compile for ANYBODY?  I
> posted this on bsdforums.org and people there can't get it to
> compile either..

I know about at least one man Jiri M., he is active in this mailling list
too. And he succeed with compiling new hal in current and maybe in releng_6.
The details he could tell you.