Re: panic: Memory modified after free

From: Steve Kargl <sgk_at_troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 22:15:56 -0800
On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 09:51:32PM -0800, Doug White wrote:
> Sorry for the late response on this, but I just debugged similar issues on
> a Tyan S2892. The problem there was that the system would panic in unusual
> places under load. The root cause was that the BIOS was not down-clocking
> the DIMM speeds under high-load situations (e.g, all DIMM slots
> populated), which caused random memory corruption. Updating to BIOS v2.00
> fixed the problem.
>
> Make sure you are running BIOS v3.04 or later on your S2882.  The BIOS
> download for that motherboard is:
>
> http://www.tyan.com/support/html/b_s2882.html
>
> The other option is to remove DIMMs from the system.

Updating the bios is the first thing I did.  IIRC, I'm at 3.05.
The "Memory modified after free" is a real problem somewhere
deep inside devfs.  See cognet's last commit to tty_pty.c.

However, I'll look into the DIMM timing issues because I have
been experiencing some lock-ups (not panics) when my system
is under heavy load.  I've tested the memory with memtest86+
more than once, and it appears to be good.

--
Steve