Re: FreeBSD showing version number upon login

From: alex <theawel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 14:54:57 -0500
On Feb 9, 2006, at 6:49 AM, Kurt Jaeger wrote:

> Hi!
>
>> While browsing the web trying to find out how to remove the version
>> info I did come across editing the gettytab following the follow
>> instructions
>
> Try:
>
> touch ~/.hushlogin
>
> and try to change /etc/gettytab:

The .hushlogin, while it did remove the version info also removed the
MOTD msg, which was not really what I wanted but I guess thats the
best that I could hope for. And to answer some question that were
going back and forth on the list as to why I wanted remove the
version line, was it for security?....heck no, there are plenty of
ways to get that information in fact this computer is firewalled and
no one has access to it anyway, it was just an eyesore and on top of
that its my computer so I can do with it what I please=)

The .hushlogin file does remove the Copyright msg but it also removes
the MOTD, Im just surprised
  there is not a well known easy way to remove the version info and
leave the MOTD.

In previous posts I also wrote that I tried editing the gettytab as
you explained but that did nothing.

Oh and by the way thanks Kurt!

Regards

Alex