FreeBSD showing version number upon login

From: Alex <theawel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 02:29:25 -0500
I just installed a fresh copy of freebsd 6.0. I went on to try to remove the
version number that appears before your MOTD and I had no luck. I first
tried making a COPYRIGHT file in /etc(with touch COPYRIGHT) and adding
update_motd="NO" to rc.conf and rebooted and that did nothing, it still
showed up. I even went so far as to comment out the copyright statement in
login.conf and rebuilt the DB but it still showed up. I also went to
/etc/default/rc.conf and changed the default update_motd="YES" to no and
rebooted and still it kept showing up. I am at wits end here..... anyone
have any ideas? Am I missing something here?

--Alex