Re: FreeBSD showing version number upon login

From: Marcin Jessa <lists_at_yazzy.org>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 08:59:31 +0000
On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 02:29:25 -0500
Alex <theawel_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> I just installed a fresh copy of freebsd 6.0. I went on to try to remove the
> version number that appears before your MOTD and I had no luck. I first
> tried making a COPYRIGHT file in /etc(with touch COPYRIGHT) and adding
> update_motd="NO" to rc.conf and rebooted and that did nothing,

update_motd="NO" is to update the /var/run/dmesg.boot afair

> it still
> showed up. I even went so far as to comment out the copyright statement in
> login.conf and rebuilt the DB but it still showed up. I also went to
> /etc/default/rc.conf and changed the default update_motd="YES" to no and
> rebooted and still it kept showing up. I am at wits end here..... anyone
> have any ideas? Am I missing something here?

There are few ways to achieve this.
One is to compile your kernel not to show any booting messages with black text and background.
The other is to include a login image which can be i.e black. This way you could still see the boot msg
if you press ESC during boot.
You can also change your /etc/gettytab and put there something like here:
http://www.yazzy.org/configs/freebsd/gettytab
You can tweak the gettytab entry to show custom text, automatically login a user etc.

Cheers
Marcin