Re: FreeBSD showing version number upon login

From: Brian Candler <B.Candler_at_pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 12:53:10 +0000
On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 02:29:25AM -0500, Alex wrote:
> I just installed a fresh copy of freebsd 6.0. I went on to try to remove the
> version number that appears before your MOTD and I had no luck.

Which appears where, exactly?

Do you mean the version number *within* /etc/motd? (i.e. you also see it if
you type "cat /etc/motd"? )

Have a look in /etc/rc.d/motd

I don't see why setting update_motd="NO" in rc.conf didn't fix this for
you. But maybe setting it to mode 444 would help, or you can just modify or
remove /etc/rc.d/motd entirely.

If you want to hide motd completely, you might be able to do this by
modifying or removing :welcome=/etc/motd: in /etc/login.conf

If you mean something which is printed *before* /etc/motd is displayed, then
you'll need to be more specific about where exactly it is.

Regards,

Brian.