Re: Bad system call (core dumped)

From: Kris Kennaway <kris_at_obsecurity.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 05:40:49 -0500
On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 12:46:31PM +0600, Bachilo Dmitry wrote:
> I've tried to compile Xchat 2.6.1 from sources, it compiled with no errors,
> but when I start xchat it gives me "Bad system call (core dumped)".
> So i've cvsuped ports and compiled this version of Xchat from them firs of all
> i've got Shared object "libexpat.so.5" not found, required by
> "libfontconfig.so.1", and I've made a symbolic link
> ln -s libexpat.so libexpat.so.5
> and then again typed xchat, but, as ususal
> Bad system call (core dumped)
>
> Is that a problem with sources, or there's something wrong with my system?

The latter, looks like.  The fact that you have the missing library
suggests you're not upgrading your ports correctly (e.g. using
portupgrade), which suggests you're probably not upgrading your OS
correctly either.  e.g. if you built and installed a new world without
first building, installing and booting a new kernel (per the
documentation in the handbook and UPDATING), you could run into this
error from new system calls recently added.

Kris