Re: Bad system call (core dumped)

From: Fernan Aguero <fernan_at_iib.unsam.edu.ar>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 09:57:43 -0300
+----[ Bachilo Dmitry <root_at_solink.ru> (10.Feb.2006 03:48):

| I've tried to compile Xchat 2.6.1 from sources, it compiled with no errors,
| but when I start xchat it gives me "Bad system call (core dumped)".

I don't know about this one, but

| So i've cvsuped ports and compiled this version of Xchat from them firs of all
| i've got Shared object "libexpat.so.5" not found, required by
| "libfontconfig.so.1",

when you cvsuped, the ports tree got updated and this included a
new version of expat. Read /usr/ports/UPDATING always after
you cvsup your ports.

| and I've made a symbolic link
| ln -s libexpat.so libexpat.so.5

You should try to avoid doing this. When a you update a
shared library to a new major version, it is recommended
that you recompile all ports that were linked against this
library.

If you use portupgrade (sysutils/portupgrade), this can be
easily done like this

portupgrade -rf your_shared_library_port

this will upgrade the shared library rebuild all ports that
depend on it.

In this case, it will be

portupgrade -rf textproc/expat2

as explained in UPDATING. But beware, this can take a looong
time, as many ports depend on expat.

Regards,

Fernan