CFT: src/tools/tools/npcus

From: Sam Leffler <sam_at_errno.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 13:24:48 -0800
I need folks to test some code committed recently for identifying the
number of cpu's on a machine.  The plan is to use this code to choose an
SMP or UP kernel during an install.

cd /usr/src/tools/tools/ncpus
make
su
./ncpus

You should get output like this:

trouble# ./ncpus
acpi0_check: nexus0 attached
acpi0_check: legacy0 not-present
acpi0_check: npx0 attached
acpi0_check: acpi0 attached
ncpus: MADT: Found CPU APIC ID 1 enabled
ncpus: MADT: Found CPU APIC ID 2 disabled
acpi: 1
ncpus: MPTable: Found CPU APIC ID 0 enabled
mptable: 1

acpi: 1 means checking ACPI configuration info we found 1 cpu.  mptable:
1 means MPTable indicated there was 1 cpu.  The rest of the stuff
printed out is for debugging.

If you run this test and DON'T see the correct number of cpus for your
machine please mail me (directly) with the output and dmesg output from
booting your kernel.  FWIW acpi info is considered more definitive than
MPTable so if acpi gives you the right answer but MPTable does not
that's ok.

	Sam