Re: CFT: src/tools/tools/npcus

From: Sam Leffler <sam_at_errno.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 14:20:40 -0800
Sam Leffler wrote:
> I need folks to test some code committed recently for identifying the
> number of cpu's on a machine.  The plan is to use this code to choose an
> SMP or UP kernel during an install.
>
> cd /usr/src/tools/tools/ncpus
> make
> su
> ./ncpus
>
> You should get output like this:
>
> trouble# ./ncpus
> acpi0_check: nexus0 attached
> acpi0_check: legacy0 not-present
> acpi0_check: npx0 attached
> acpi0_check: acpi0 attached
> ncpus: MADT: Found CPU APIC ID 1 enabled
> ncpus: MADT: Found CPU APIC ID 2 disabled
> acpi: 1
> ncpus: MPTable: Found CPU APIC ID 0 enabled
> mptable: 1
>
> acpi: 1 means checking ACPI configuration info we found 1 cpu.  mptable:
> 1 means MPTable indicated there was 1 cpu.  The rest of the stuff
> printed out is for debugging.
>
> If you run this test and DON'T see the correct number of cpus for your
> machine please mail me (directly) with the output and dmesg output from
> booting your kernel.  FWIW acpi info is considered more definitive than
> MPTable so if acpi gives you the right answer but MPTable does not
> that's ok.

If you get a compile error like this:

amper% # make
Warning: Object directory not changed from original
/usr/src/tools/tools/ncpus
cc -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer   -c ncpus.c
cc -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer   -c acpi.c
cc -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer   -c biosmptable.c
In file included from biosmptable.c:41:
/usr/include/machine/mptable.h:143: error: syntax error before "pcib"

then /usr/include/machine/mptable.h is not up to date wrt /usr/src.
Sorry for not mentioning that detail.

	Sam