Re: lost /dev/agpgart , X11 confused.

From: Svein Halvor Halvorsen <svein.h_at_lvor.halvorsen.cc>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 22:39:07 +0100
On 1/4/06, Ted Faber <faber_at_isi.edu> wrote:
> On -CURRENT as of today, and a rebuild today of the xorg-server-6.8.2_7
> package against the new source, my Xserver won't allocate many video
> modes because it can't open /dev/agpgart to allocate memory.  The video
> card is an Intel I810 - 865G chipset.
>
> On the new kernel neither the /dev/agpgart nor a /dev/vgapci devide
> appears (which seems to be hinted at in the comments to the most recent
> change to /sys/pci/agp_i810.c from the CVS tree).  I've attached a
> verbose dmesg from the kernel recent -CURRENT kernel.
>
> Anyone else having a similar problem or know what I'm doing wrong?  I'm
> happy to test patches or provide more info.

Even though I asked tis question twice, I did not get a single
response. No-one even bothered to ask me for more detail. On my Dell
Latitude x300 I had a similar problem but on the 855GM-chipset. The
problem seemed to be related to apci_video loading boefore agp and
somehow attaching to the video card, and blocking agp from attaching.
Or something like that.

Your problem might not be the same, though.

Svein Halvor