Re: Brief Report: IBM/Lenovo z60t notebook with FreeBSD

From: Adam McDougall <mcdouga9_at_egr.msu.edu>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 11:33:13 -0500
On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 03:52:49AM -0800, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

  On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 11:36:28AM +0000, Robert Watson wrote:

  > Last week, I ordered byself a new notebook -- for reasons of price, stock,
  > features, etc, I went with the Lenovo z60t 2511.  This is IBM part number
  > UM3EJUK, and comes with a 14" display (1280x768 widescreen), 1.86GHz
  > Pentium M, 512M of memory, and a 60GB hard disk.  It also has hardware
  > fingerprint scanner, bluetooth, SD card reader, broadcom gig-e, firewire,
  > atheros 802.11 chipset, and various other neat things.  Obviously, I

  from the description you give, the process looks very similar to what
  i did for my Dell Latitude X1, similar features except for a 12.1" screen,
  no fingerprint, and intel2200 instead of atheros card.
  The output of pciconf -lv is attached.

<snip>

  suspend/resume does not work well. actually, one issue is that
  the screen goes off when you close the lid and even though the
  rest of the system seems to be somwehat alive, i cannot see
  anything.

  	cheers
  	luigi

One trick I have found was hw.acpi.reset_video=0 and turn on
a bios boot password.  When the laptop resumes, the bios seems
to do a better job of reinitializing the screen.
If I use reset_video, I get an instant reboot.
If I do not, I get no video (I believe).

I have a Dell D810, and similar to my previous Inspiron Pentium-M,
It seems that I can suspend and resume but it never stays asleep.
The system ALWAYS wakes up within 1-10 seconds (the D810 takes longer
before it decides to wake back up).