Re: FreeBSD on Intel Macs?

From: Scott Long <scottl_at_samsco.org>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 22:09:20 -0700
David Leimbach wrote:

> On 1/14/06, *Scott Long* <scottl_at_samsco.org <mailto:scottl_at_samsco.org>>
> wrote:
>
>     Tim Kientzle wrote:
>      > Devon H. O'Dell wrote:
>      >
>      >>> iMac, download the EFI spec from www.intel.com
>     <http://www.intel.com>, open up the existing
>      >>
>      >>
>      >> For the lazy / impatient / bad searchers:
>      >> http://www.intel.com/technology/efi/
>      >
>      >
>      > On a related note, anyone know about any VMWare or Xen or other
>     similar
>      > virtual machine environment for Mac/Intel?  (FreeBSD on Virtual
>     PC on
>      > Rosetta sounds very scary... ;-(
>      >
>      > Tim
>      >

>     A meta-question to this is whether it will be possible to compile and
>     boot OpenDarwin on these x86 machines, like you can with the PPC ones.
>     If you can then I see no reason why Darwin couldn't be Xen-ified and
>     serve as a Domain-0 host.
>
>     Scott
>

> I can't think of why opendarwin wouldn't work on a machine apple
> actually supports hardware-wise.  Then again I didn't see any new
> releases of software on opendarwin.org <http://opendarwin.org> relating
> to 10.4.4 yet :).
>
> I know the guy at apple who used to make these releases though and he's
> been working on a cool build system for building the whole system from
> the tarred snapshot releases from time to time.  I used to test this
> stuff for him.
>
> It will take interested people with actual time to do the Xen port of
> course.  I'm not sure how much work a Xen host port is compared to a Xen
> guest though.
>
> Dave

I guess I should clarify myself a bit.  Yeah, I'm pretty sure that
OpenDarwin will boot on the Intel machines eventually, even if the
source isn't available today.  What I'm really wondering about is
whether OpenDarwin will be able to support OSX on those machines.
And yeah, Kevin has done a good job with the OpenDarwin build system.
It still has a long ways to go before it's as nice as the FreeBSD one,
but it's better than it used to be =-)

Scott