Re: FreeBSD on Intel Macs?

From: David Leimbach <leimy2k_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 07:41:18 -0800
On 1/14/06, Scott Long <scottl_at_samsco.org> wrote:

> Tim Kientzle wrote:

> >> For the lazy / impatient / bad searchers:
> >> http://www.intel.com/technology/efi/
> >

> > On a related note, anyone know about any VMWare or Xen or other similar
> > virtual machine environment for Mac/Intel?  (FreeBSD on Virtual PC on
> > Rosetta sounds very scary... ;-(
> >
> > Tim
> >

> A meta-question to this is whether it will be possible to compile and
> boot OpenDarwin on these x86 machines, like you can with the PPC ones.
> If you can then I see no reason why Darwin couldn't be Xen-ified and
> serve as a Domain-0 host.
>
> Scott

I can't think of why opendarwin wouldn't work on a machine apple actually
supports hardware-wise.  Then again I didn't see any new releases of
software on opendarwin.org relating to 10.4.4 yet :).

I know the guy at apple who used to make these releases though and he's been
working on a cool build system for building the whole system from the tarred
snapshot releases from time to time.  I used to test this stuff for him.

It will take interested people with actual time to do the Xen port of
course.  I'm not sure how much work a Xen host port is compared to a Xen
guest though.

Dave