Re: make or kmod.mk broken

From: Hartmut Brandt <hartmut.brandt_at_dlr.de>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 18:08:39 +0100
Max Laier wrote:

>Hi,
>
>in kmod.mk (and I believe in other places as well) we have constructs in the
>form of this: ${SOMEARRAY:M${SOMEVAR}}  However, make doesn't seem to
>understand this.  I don't see any traces that it ever did and I have no clue
>if it should.
>
>I might well misunderstand things (not a make guru) so here is my testcase:
>
>| STUFF= foo bar foobar
>| FOO=foo
>|
>| mtest:
>| 	echo ${STUFF:M${FOO}}
>
>and "$make mtest" gives:
>| echo }
>| }
>
>this clearly suggests that make is not equipped to handle the variable
>expansion here.

Looks so. I suppose that we should use VarGetPattern() in modifier_M()
in var.c to get the pattern instead of  doing it by hand,
though VarGetPattern() may need to know that we're getting a shell
instead of a regexp pattern (special handling for '$' before ':').

>In any case we have to fix either kmod.mk or make.

I would prefer to fix make.

>On a related question:  How can I get the actual location of a file that is
>in .PATH?  All I could come up with was ${.ALLSRC:M*${MY_FILE}} which doesn't
>work as I am explaining here.

M*$(MY_FILE) would also match 'foobar'  if MY_FILE is 'bar' which is
probably not what you want.
.IMPSRC might be what you want if you talk about an implicite rule.

harti