RE: [TEST/REVIEW] CPU accounting patches

From: Frank Mayhar <frank_at_exit.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 10:54:19 -0800
On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 12:39 -0600, Mullen, Adam wrote:
> Lets see here though, how many of us have a 100 node beowulf cluster who
> use FreeBSD daily?  I know I don't!  I've been following this
> conversation and my 2 cents are this, taking into consideration cpu time
> accounting for machines that use power management is trivial.  I view
> those that use power management are a lot less likely to be in an
> environment where they are either A) billing for utility computing, B)
> care about 99.9999% accurate cpu time accounting, C) have a need for
> this precision.  My thought is that a blurb be submitted with this patch
> specifying the caveats if powersaved is also used.  Just my humble
> opinion.

Hey, you don't have to run a 100-node Beowulf cluster to benefit from
this.  It would be nice if my systems in my home office would throttle
down when they're relatively idle; that might defray some of the
several-hundred-dollar electric bill I pay monthly, and during the
summer it might even keep the room cooler.
--
Frank Mayhar frank_at_exit.com     http://www.exit.com/
Exit Consulting                 http://www.gpsclock.com/