Re: Inspiron 5160 touchpad stopped working on latest -current.

From: Frank Mayhar <frank_at_exit.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 12:05:54 -0700
On Sun, 2006-07-16 at 10:45 -0700, Frank Mayhar wrote:
> And the mouse was working just fine last night, so I'm 99.99% sure it's
> not hardware.

I just ran the Dell hardware tests on the mouse; sure enough, it works
fine and all the tests pass.  After quite a bit of experimentation I've
managed to make it work by setting, in /boot/device.hints:
	hint.psm.0.flags="0x1200"
which sets NOIDPROBE and IGNOREPORTERROR.  Most likely when I did the
mergemaster after the installworld, I neglected to preserve that bit of
magic.

Hopefully if anyone else hits this problem, this email will put them on
the right track.  It would be nice, though, if it were fixed at some
point.
--
Frank Mayhar frank_at_exit.com     http://www.exit.com/
Exit Consulting                 http://www.gpsclock.com/