Re: Firefox on -current dumps core.

From: Patrick Bowen <pbowen_at_fastmail.fm>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 14:07:29 -0500
Robert Watson wrote:

>>> Because there are libraries whose version have not been bumped yet
>>> in 7.0.
>>>

>> Understood.
>>
>> Here's my situation. I drive a truck, and the truck stops have
>> wireless, but no wired, and there's a secure login. So I have to have
>> a working browser to get on the web to do updates/upgrades.
>>
>> What would be the best way to avoid the "library" problem that caused
>> the cores? Upgrade all the packages from source before I cvsup to
>> -current, or...?
>>
>> Thanks for any pointers.
>
> In short, the only way to fix these problems is to rebuild all your
> ports in order that the installed ports match your library set and
> that all applications linked against old library versions are
> updated.  Eventually, there will be a compat6x port that installs
> compatibility versions of libraries, but there are a number of open
> questions about how we want to approach that (due to library version
> interdependence) so the short term solution of upgrading everything
> (and specifically, building them from scratch) is the way to go.
>
> Robert N M Watson
> Computer Laboratory
> University of Cambridge

So I'll have to upgrade to -current, then rebuild all the ports against
-current's libraries. Sounds simple enough. Tedious, but simple. When I
went from 6.0 stable to -current I didn't have this problem. The
libraries must have diverged significantly since then.

Even with the hassles, I prefer FreeBSD to anything else...

Thanks to everyone for all their help.

Patrick