Re: vmstat's entries type

From: Chuck Swiger <cswiger_at_mac.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 08:23:41 -0400
Peter Jeremy wrote:
[ ... ]
> This was based on an examination of /usr/src/sys/*/include/atomic.h.
> It looks like I was overly quick because the RISC architectures are
> using compare-and-swap, rather than test-and-set primitives - sorry
> about the error.  The details are:
[ ... ]
> - ppc doesn't support 64-bit atomic operations

lwarx/stwcx...?

http://publibn.boulder.ibm.com/doc_link/en_US/a_doc_lib/aixassem/alangref/lwarx.htm
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/library/pa-atom/

> - sparc64 uses cas in a loop.
>
> Whilst true spinlocks are not needed, amd64 is the only architecture
> FreeBSD supports that does not require some sort of loop to perform
> a 64-bit atomic operation.

You can use membar instructions on the SPARCv9 to enforce various memory
models (RMO, PSO, TSO, if not full sequential consistency).

--
-Chuck