DTrace for FreeBSD- source snapshots

From: John Birrell <jb_at_what-creek.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 07:38:23 +0000
Since the Slashdot article <http://bsd.slashdot.org/bsd/06/05/29/1144234.shtml>
and my last status update here, I've had numerous requests for access to the
development sources for the DTrace port to FreeBSD.

I had hoped to get the DTrace P4 project exported to CVS and then to a CVSup
server, but that doesn't seem to be possible. The FreeBSD P4 admins who can set
this up haven't responded to my emails. Sulk.

The best that I can do at the moment is to make a tar-ball containing the
entire FreeBSD-current source tree available for download. You can get it from
<http://people.freebsd.org/~jb/dtrace/index.html>

There is also a link on that page to a diff of the changed files and another
tar-ball of the added files in case you want to just look.

You should regard this as pre-alpha quality. It's still a work-in-progress.
It can crash your system and/or ruin your day. Don't ask me how I know. 8-)

The source tree will build on an i386 RELENG_6 machine (or a current one) using a
standard 'buildworld'. The 'buildkernel' step will need to be:
'make NO_CTF=1 buildkernel' at the moment due to the fact that the buildkernel
phase doesn't seem to use the bootstrapped tools. That's a problem that someone
could work on. Hint. 8-)

If there is someone with a bit of spare time on their hands, I'd like an install
ISO to be built using 'make release'. And someone else might care to work on
producing a live CD using FreeSBIE <www.freebsie.org>. That would be useful
too.

One final note: If you want to help out, please don't tell me you don't have
much spare time. I'm looking for people who can put a bit of effort in. DTrace
isn't a trivial project. It touches every part of the operating system.

--
John Birrell