FreeBSD-current installer ISO with DTrace (was: Re: DTrace for FreeBSD- source snapshots)

From: Sam Lawrance <boris_at_brooknet.com.au>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 14:29:25 +1000
On 08/06/2006, at 5:38 PM, John Birrell wrote:

> Since the Slashdot article <http://bsd.slashdot.org/bsd/
> 06/05/29/1144234.shtml>
> and my last status update here, I've had numerous requests for
> access to the
> development sources for the DTrace port to FreeBSD.
>
> I had hoped to get the DTrace P4 project exported to CVS and then
> to a CVSup
> server, but that doesn't seem to be possible. The FreeBSD P4 admins
> who can set
> this up haven't responded to my emails. Sulk.
>
> The best that I can do at the moment is to make a tar-ball
> containing the
> entire FreeBSD-current source tree available for download. You can
> get it from
> <http://people.freebsd.org/~jb/dtrace/index.html>
>
> There is also a link on that page to a diff of the changed files
> and another
> tar-ball of the added files in case you want to just look.
>
> You should regard this as pre-alpha quality. It's still a work-in-
> progress.
> It can crash your system and/or ruin your day. Don't ask me how I
> know. 8-)
>
> The source tree will build on an i386 RELENG_6 machine (or a
> current one) using a
> standard 'buildworld'. The 'buildkernel' step will need to be:
> 'make NO_CTF=1 buildkernel' at the moment due to the fact that the
> buildkernel
> phase doesn't seem to use the bootstrapped tools. That's a problem
> that someone
> could work on. Hint. 8-)
>
> If there is someone with a bit of spare time on their hands, I'd
> like an install
> ISO to be built using 'make release'. And someone else might care
> to work on
> producing a live CD using FreeSBIE <www.freebsie.org>. That would
> be useful
> too.

An installer ISO for FreeBSD-current (June 8) with John's DTrace work
is available here:

http://people.freebsd.org/~lawrance/7-CURRENT-jb-dtrace-i386-
disc1.iso.bz2

If you are curious to try it but don't want to install -current, you
may be able to try it from the Fixit shell.  For example:

Fixit# kldconfig /dist/boot/kernel
Fixit# kldload dtrace systrace profile fbt
Fixit# dtrace -n 'open:entry{_at_[copyinstr(arg0)] = count()}' &

<do stuff>

Fixit# kill `jobid %1`