Re: System will not shutdown with modem card inserted

From: Ben Kaduk <minimarmot_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 18:03:46 +0000
On 6/12/06, Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net> wrote:
> > Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 17:36:55 -0600 (MDT)
> > From: "M. Warner Losh" <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
> >
> > In message: <20060611004838.B7F8A45043_at_ptavv.es.net>
> >             "Kevin Oberman" <oberman_at_es.net> writes:
> > : I just noticed this, but it may have been going on for some time as I
> > : had never plugged a PCMCIA card into this system until yesterday.
> > :
> > : When I shut down the system with my Simple Tsch modem card inserted, the
> > : system will not power off or reboot with shutdown(8). It just sits there
> > : after the "uptime" message.
> > :
> > : The system is an IBM T43 running current as of today. The card is a
> > : "Simple Technology 28.8 Communicator". Nothing special about my
> > : configuration. Config available on request, but it's pretty
> > : uninteresting. Here is the message I receive when the card is inserted:
> > : pccard0: Allocation failed for cfe 32
> > : sio4: <Simple Technology 28.8 Communicator> at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 11 function 0 config 33 on pccard0
> > : sio4: type 16550A
> > : sio4: [GIANT-LOCKED]
> > : sio4: unable to activate interrupt in fast mode - using normal mode
> > :
> > : That's about it. I realize that there is a serious lack of data on this.
> >
> > Any idea when this started to happen?
>
> Unfortunately, no. It may be a problem with the T43. I did not see the
> problem with my T30 which I used until March of this year. I had no need
> of any PCMCIA card until recently when I needed a modem. That is when I
> discovered that the T43 has only a single PC Card slot and an ExpressCard
> slot. As a result, it will not support my trusty Type-III Xircom
> Ethernet/modem card would not fit. So i dug out my ancient SimpleTech
> 28.8 card and tried it.
>
> Other than the "pccard0: Allocation failed for cfe 32", it seemed to
> work. I have no idea right now what the error might actually indicate,
> though. And, that was last Thursday. That night, it would not power
> down.
>
> I left the card in place and had the same problem when I next tried to
> reboot the system (to upgrade the ACPI code) on Saturday. I quickly
> realized that the only thing that had changed was that the modem was
> inserted.
>
> So i really have no idea when it started or if it is unique to this
> laptop.
>
> Here is the CardBus boot report:
> cbb0: <RF5C476 PCI-CardBus Bridge> mem 0xa8410000-0xa8410fff irq 11 at device 0.0 on pci4
> cardbus0: <CardBus bus> on cbb0
> pccard0: <16-bit PCCard bus> on cbb0
>
> This is, for me, a very minor annoyance, but I did think it was worth
> reporting.
> --
> R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
> Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
> E-mail: oberman_at_es.net                  Phone: +1 510 486-8634

Warner,

I am not sure how relevant this is, but I also have experienced
difficulty in shutting down or rebooting with a pccard modem in the
laptop; however, the behaviour has not been consistent.  That is to
say, that though for a particular build of current, the machine will
either reboot cleanly or hang at "uptime" (consistently if I don't
change the OS version), but rebuilding the system may cause the
behaviour to switch.

I have not been following the commit logs too closely, but I haven't
noticed anything that (to my poor eyes) would obviously cause such a
change, for any of the switches in behaviour.  I am not sure, but I
think that the fluctuating behaviour has been present for around a
year.

For reference, the pccard is:
sio4: <IBM 56K Data-Fax Modem> at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 11 function 0 config 32 o
n pccard0
sio4: type 16550A
sio4: [GIANT-LOCKED]
sio4: unable to activate interrupt in fast mode - using normal mode

I am the only user of this laptop, so it is available for tetsting
when I'm not thrashing the CPU for work.

-Ben Kaduk