Re: System will not shutdown with modem card inserted

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 17:17:12 -0700
> Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 17:36:55 -0600 (MDT)
> From: "M. Warner Losh" <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
>
> In message: <20060611004838.B7F8A45043_at_ptavv.es.net>
>             "Kevin Oberman" <oberman_at_es.net> writes:
> : I just noticed this, but it may have been going on for some time as I
> : had never plugged a PCMCIA card into this system until yesterday.
> :
> : When I shut down the system with my Simple Tsch modem card inserted, the
> : system will not power off or reboot with shutdown(8). It just sits there
> : after the "uptime" message.
> :
> : The system is an IBM T43 running current as of today. The card is a
> : "Simple Technology 28.8 Communicator". Nothing special about my
> : configuration. Config available on request, but it's pretty
> : uninteresting. Here is the message I receive when the card is inserted:
> : pccard0: Allocation failed for cfe 32
> : sio4: <Simple Technology 28.8 Communicator> at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 11 function 0 config 33 on pccard0
> : sio4: type 16550A
> : sio4: [GIANT-LOCKED]
> : sio4: unable to activate interrupt in fast mode - using normal mode
> :
> : That's about it. I realize that there is a serious lack of data on this.
>
> Any idea when this started to happen?

Unfortunately, no. It may be a problem with the T43. I did not see the
problem with my T30 which I used until March of this year. I had no need
of any PCMCIA card until recently when I needed a modem. That is when I
discovered that the T43 has only a single PC Card slot and an ExpressCard
slot. As a result, it will not support my trusty Type-III Xircom
Ethernet/modem card would not fit. So i dug out my ancient SimpleTech
28.8 card and tried it.

Other than the "pccard0: Allocation failed for cfe 32", it seemed to
work. I have no idea right now what the error might actually indicate,
though. And, that was last Thursday. That night, it would not power
down.

I left the card in place and had the same problem when I next tried to
reboot the system (to upgrade the ACPI code) on Saturday. I quickly
realized that the only thing that had changed was that the modem was
inserted.

So i really have no idea when it started or if it is unique to this
laptop.

Here is the CardBus boot report:
cbb0: <RF5C476 PCI-CardBus Bridge> mem 0xa8410000-0xa8410fff irq 11 at device 0.0 on pci4
cardbus0: <CardBus bus> on cbb0
pccard0: <16-bit PCCard bus> on cbb0

This is, for me, a very minor annoyance, but I did think it was worth
reporting.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)